Sunday, July 26, 2009

Love, London

I was perusing the Chicago Tribune this morning, cutting coupons and looking to see if there were any interesting articles when I found the whole front page of the Travel section devoted to this city: London, England.  Intrigued, of course, I read through the reporter's list of "Don't Miss" and "Skip it?" attractions in this city where I just spent a significant amount of time.  This is my take on what he had to say:

"Don't Miss"
1. Tower of London: I visited this site the first time I came to London back in 2004.  It was okay.  Not great enough to go back this past trip, but interesting nonetheless.

2. Westminster Abbey: um, is it possible that I've never been inside?  We tried!  In 2004 we tried to make it to Evensong but it never happened.  Ah, well.  I say I haven't gone inside as an incentive to go back.  2011, here I come!

3. Portobello Market: I went to Portobello Road twice before finally making it to the actual market.  The reporter says it has the best lunch in London, and I'm not surprised.  My best lunch there was a toss up between a smoked salmon and cream cheese sandwich at an eatery called Gail's or a lemon & sugar crepe at a place my friend Heather took me called Kitchen & Pantry.  This guy mentions the Ghanaian stew without telling you where to get it.  Not such great reporting, eh?

4. St. Paul's Cathedral: tucked away in London's financial district, Mom and I went here before a trip to the Borough Market.  We should have walked along the Millenium footbridge instead of taking the tube.  Ah, well.  We happened to get there in time to partake in the eucharist.  It was a sacred moment for sure.

5. London theaters: I've seen both the Lion King and Wicked in this town.  Contrary to the reporter's view that the theatres surround Leicester Square, there are several outside the vicinity--including the one by Victoria Station where we saw Wicked.  

6. Buckingham Palace: I've not seen the changing of the guard, but I have seen it at night and it's breathtaking.  

7. The Tate Modern: go if you have a really long time and a love for modern (not necessarily contemporary) art.  It's very crowded.  Of course it is--it's free.  I love it, though, just on the basis of the walk between it and the Borough Market.  It's the only reasonable way to get there from the London Bridge tube station, and it's worth the footwork for the view across the Thames.

8. London Eye: Mom and I went when it was dark and raining.  If I could do it again, I would go on a sunny day.  

9. Covent Garden Market: one of my favorite spots in the city, I found both a tea strainer for one pound and a ring for four pounds at this market.  Love it!

10. Hyde Park: when I go back, I'm convincing fellow L'Abriers to take a picnic to this park.  I've heard it's wonderful for that purpose.  It was too cold to appreciate it while I was there, but if ever I live in London I will frequent it often.

Places he missed: Camden Market and Trafalgar Square!  How could anyone leave those two places out of a "Don't Miss" list?

"Skip it?"
1. British Museum: yes, true, it is dull once you get past the mummies.  But it was worth going considering I had Eri, who is Japanese, Lee, who is South Korean, and Wesley, who is Chinese-American, with me who could appreciate the Asian art.  Also, losing one of our friends in the largest museum in London and finding her again gave reason for God's existence so I do have quite fond memories of this place.

2. Thames Tour: we took this tour in 2004 and even during the summer it was freezing.  We got off at Greenwich, visiting a not-so-great market and trying to find our way back to the city through what seemed like a rough neighborhood.  Beware of pick-pockets signs were everywhere.

3. Harrods: I hated this place.  We went in 2004 and I had no desire to go back.  It's gaudy, overpriced, and worthless.  London is already overwhelming without the need to go to the most overwhelming department store I have ever visited.

4. Oxford Street/Piccadilly Circus: okay, Piccadilly Circus I can understand, but Oxford Street is great.  I spent much time shopping there, and have fond memories of my time there with Elizabeth.  With the exchange rate improving, clothes were actually affordable.  Though, truly, I would recommend Kensington High Street for shopping.  Much easier to navigate.

5. Royal Albert Hall: I don't even remember seeing this place.  Must really not be worth it.

6. Jack the Ripper tour: really?  who would actually do this?

Places he missed: the British Library.  I know this is blasphemy coming from a writer, but going here ruined an already ruined day.  The only point of going would be to look at original manuscripts from English authors and Beatles lyrics.  Skip it.  Really.  Just don't go.

Writing this makes me miss that city--that country!  If all goes well and I can find a job and live on my own for awhile, I plan to go back some time in 2011.  Either summer or fall, and either for a month or the full three-month term.  If I go back to L'Abri for a term I would only go as a helper.  Part of me would prefer the month so I could spend time in Ireland, Scotland, and Holland along with England.  We will see.  Patience, ah, such a wretched virtue.

No comments: