Monday, May 19, 2008

Spending the Day in Buckhead

Buckhead is the northernmost part of the city of Atlanta, a section all on its own known for its restaurants, nightlife, and famed Lenox Square.  I, for one, hate it.  I find it flashy, pretentious, and borderline obnoxious compared to the neighborhood feel of both Virginia-Highland and Little Five Points or the art-infused midtown.  As opposed to my general sense of direction using Moreland Ave, Ponce De Leon Ave, Peachtree St/W Peachtree  St, 10th Street, and various other markers in the city, I haven't brought myself to memorize anything having to do with Peachtree Road or Lenox Road or, God forbid, the GA 400.  So this morning, jetting out at 7:45 in hopes to catch only the tail end of rush hour traffic, I went to Phipps Plaza--in Buckhead--to help out the Talbot's store there.  I was late.  I parked in the wrong spot.  I worked 9 hours in the Accessories section, so bored I had to result to scratching out essay ideas on blank sheets of paper or folding scarves to look as if I was doing something.  I wanted to chop off my feet; I cursed my kitten heels.  

But amazingly enough, the day ended.  I am nearly $70 richer.  And, for what it may be worth, I finally saw my city--not as charming as it used to be, in desperate need of friends to share it with, but still mine.  If I never stay in Atlanta I will always remember my first independent trip on the downtown connector (made on my way home for spring break 07), will always recall getting lost and finding my way while at the same time filing away in my mind the names of restaurants and stores I could possibly frequent soon.  There's a new Urban Outfitters on Ponce, and Les Mis is coming to the Fox in September--perhaps these 8 months will not be as terrible as I imagine them.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Oh... wish I could be there with you to explore. Love you.

Gabe and Libby Reed said...

Liz! Hello! Gabe and I have a blog now! There is a link on Elise's page so please check it out! I miss you and can't wait to see you. Phone date soon?? LOVE YOU! ~Libber